Monday, November 17, 2008

Austin, Part 2

I said there'd be more to come about Austin but, really, nothing that exciting happened. Sadly, I never saw Matthew McConaughey (or Lance Armstrong or Aaron Peirsol or Colt McCoy or any of the other cool celebs/athletes who live there).

I did eat sushi for the second time ever and successfully used chopsticks without totally embarrassing myself (or at least the people I was dining with were too polite to point out that I'm a complete dork). It was actually really good. We ate at Uchi, where Tyson Cole is the chef. He was on "Iron Chef" back in the spring and sent a special dessert to our table to thank us for photographing the restaurant for the magazine.

Domino magazine was in town the same time we were and stayed at the same hotel. I tried to eavesdrop on them one morning, but didn't glean very much. They were doing a travel/shopping story too, and evidently hitting up all the same places we were. I guess that's a good thing.

I would really like to go back to Austin and be more of a tourist. It's only about five or so hours away. Maybe Matthew (my Matthew) and I will make the trip together sometime.

Two interesting photos from the trip:

We photographed this garden shop called Big Red Sun. Some of their arrangements--I guess that's what you'd call them--were really more like works of art. This is a book that they used to display a selection of shells, mosses, and air plants.

If only these armadillo baskets from Uncommon Objects weren't so expensive. I would have bought some for Christmas gifts. (What would you do with this???)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I had an armadillo basket, I would give it to my precious niece. ee