Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Telephone Table

In my grandmother's house, there was a telephone table. It was where my dad sat to call my mom when they were dating. I always liked the table, and maybe a little over a year ago, I saw one just like it in Country Living magazine. I should say the shape was the same, but someone had painted it and given it an update to fit the times of, well, no landline phones. I had in the back of my mind that I'd fix up the one from my grandmother's house some day and use it in our home. 

But something even better happened. My brother, David, decided to do all the dirty work and fix up the table for me as a Christmas gift. He sanded and painted and spruced it up, and it looks perfect sitting in front of our kitchen window. 


Didn't he do a great job?

I know it was a lot of work, and I really appreciate it. It's taken me until now to post a picture of it because I wanted to "style" it just right (or at least to the best of my very limited abilities). I picked up the red seat cushion from World Market. I ordered the tray from Furbish Studio, and purchased the pot from a local garden shop. The brass "H" I bought from Uncommon Objects a few years ago when I went to Austin for a story. (It's a really cool store if you ever find yourself in Austin.)

So now we've got an extra little spot in the kitchen to chat with friends, enjoy a snack, or sit while we make a call on our cell phones!

Thank you, David! I love it!

2 comments:

Karen said...

The two of you made a pretty great team--his elbow grease and your styling!

Beth H said...

I am soo impressed with David!! It looks great!