Monday, June 27, 2011

Random Update

To say things have been busy is an understatement! And to put together coherent, multiple posts is just really too much to expect from me right now, so this will be a random, rambling post about a few things that have been going on. 

First up: The outgoing ortho residents had a graduation dinner recently, and Matthew officially begins his last year of residency on Friday, July 1. Not only that, he'll start off the year as chief resident. I hope this new title won't go to his head! Here are a few shots from the dinner (and I'm not intentionally hiding my tummy in these; it's just how they wound up!). 





We have already received some precious, precious gifts for Georgia Claire! Our friend Samer (in the picture above with Matthew) gave us this beautiful monogrammed bunny blanket and a cute bunny rattle. It's her first monogrammed gift! I teared up opening it!



Even before we knew we were having a girl, we knew our little one would root for the Bulldogs! When she arrives during football season, she'll be ready to show her team spirit. Our friends Gabe and Jessica, who are finishing a fellowship in Columbus, Georgia, sent us the red Georgia G and white onesies below. They figured we would have a hard time finding those kinds of outfits here! Being Tennessee fans themselves, they also sent a Tennessee pacifier, which prompted Matthew to quip: Is that because Tennessee sucks?

Dad got us the red onesie with the carriage on the front. It says: This is how I roll! 

So cute!!


I was kind of worried, though, that our sweet baby girl didn't have any pink outfits. But problem solved! Our friends Melissa and Phil gave us this precious pink polka dot onesie below and a cute wooden puzzle. I love the colorful birds, and Georgia Claire is going to enjoy playing with it!


Guess who sent the bib below! David, of course! How precious is that? I have a feeling Georgia Claire will love her uncle David.


In other baby news, I attempted to register this weekend. Creating a baby registry is possibly one of the most stressful things a person can ever do. I am not exaggerating. Do you know how much stuff you need these days to properly raise a baby? Do you know how many choices there are available for each specific item? Do you know you have to research the safety ratings and whether or not the items are BPA free?  Do you know whether you're supposed to get a cool mist or a warm mist humidifier? Do you know there is a stroller for every possible walking/jogging situation you may find yourself in? Do you know why pack-n-plays are so big that you can't possibly pack them up to take them elsewhere for play? Do you know which video monitor or bathtub or bottle or diaper or highchair or swing are best?    

Thank goodness Jamie came for a visit—and had researched all of this stuff—and helped me navigate these unchartered waters. I would never have made it through without her. I honestly would have just turned around and walked out on Saturday without registering for a thing. She was a rock star to put up with my indecisiveness and many questions and mini meltdowns. I owe her big time!

I did come to one absolute conclusion: 
In addition to all the baby gear, I now need to register for an SUV and a much larger house.


While I was stressing over baby gear on Saturday, Matthew went to pick up his new fishing kayak. It was an anniversary/Father's Day gift, and he's pretty excited about it. I unfortunately don't have a picture of it out of the plastic, but he did go out in it yesterday afternoon and seemed to have a good time.


For my birthday this past Saturday, my one request was to go to the Ruston Peach Festival to hear Percy Sledge. Matthew and Jamie indulged me, and I got to hear Percy sing "When a Man Loves a Woman," "Cover Me," "Warm and Tender Love," and a whole lot more. He even sang "My Girl," which we think was dedicated to Georgia Claire. When we called our family to tell them what we were having, we played "My Girl" into the phone.



And now, what you've all been waiting for (okay, not really, but ...): 
A photo of my ever-expanding tummy! 


I'm doing okay on my weight gain, but I'm sure it's going to start adding up quickly now. I'm still feeling good, and I absolutely love how Matthew likes to talk to Georgia Claire and pat my tummy. Now, I'm not so keen on other people touching my stomach, but I've only had that happen once so far. 


And last but certainly not least: I can't express what a blessing Jamie is as a friend! I am so thankful she came for a visit, and can't wait to have Georgia Claire meet her Aunt Jamie!





4 comments:

Karen said...

The monogrammed bunny blanket is so sweet! You don't have to worry about Georgia Claire not having many pink outfits--I've been solving that problem for you!
Love all the pictures. Wish I could have been there to visit with you and Jamie. Thanks for catching us up on all the Louisiana happenings.

Amanda said...

Love this post!!! You look precious and I'm so excited for y'all. xoxoxoxoxoxo

Sarah Rentz said...

You look great! And I love reading all about your new baby girl. :) Congrats.

Sarah Rentz said...

I know Georgia Claire isn't actually here yet! But I still love reading about the happenings. :)