Just got back from my work trip to Charleston (scheduled for Southern Accents March/April 09). I had the best time, and I hope Lauren, the photographer, and her assistant, Jay, had a great time too. I know we certainly enjoyed eating.
I stayed at the Mills House Hotel on Meeting Street, which is within easy walking distance to pretty much everything. Highlights of the trip include: having an amazing dinner at Charleston Grill; meeting two James Beard Foundation nominees (Mike Lata, chef at FIG, and Robert Stehling, chef at Hominy Grill); getting a private tour of the Nathaniel Russell House; taking pictures of the Charleston skyline from an exclusive perch on the roof of the Mills House Hotel.
Where did I eat? 82 Queen, Hominy Grill (TWICE for breakfast), Charleston Grill, Circa 1886, Slightly North of Broad, Magnolia's, The Wreck of Richard and Charlene, and Sugar (a new bakery). We had the best service and overall meal at Charleston Grill. The best shrimp and grits were at Magnolia's; best breakfast at Hominy; and best dessert was the key lime pie at The Wreck (though we certainly tasted many worthy competitors).
I didn't do any shopping, but we did photograph a great clothing store on King called Hampden. Adorable dresses, but they were, unfortunately, out of my current price range. Another cool spot was the studio of milliner Leigh Magar. She's known all over for her hats and just got back from having a show in Kentucky for the Derby.
I just love Charleston!



3 comments:
Love the hats! We're ready to plan a trip! When are you available to be our tour guide? KH
I can't believe you didn't wear the hat with feathers! It would have looked much better with your outfit. EE
Great pics and blog MB--I love Charleston as well and Mills House is a favorite of ours. You made some great restaurant choices. We always plan our entire trip around where we are going to eat!!--Beth H
Post a Comment