Friday, June 5, 2009

An Update

We've been very lucky to have house guests the last two weekends. Jamie came for a visit on Memorial Day weekend (and bravely attended Mudbug Madness even with a shellfish allergy). Last weekend, the Heatons came, and because we can't waste their handiness and work ethic, we handed over our to-do list. The main priority was getting those awful gutters down, but I didn't want Matthew doing that by himself. It should go without saying that I couldn't assist him.

With Howard here to help we finally tackled that project. Of course, when the gutters came down there was unattractive white fascia facing the street, and a few other issues we shan't go into here. Anyway, Howard came up with a great idea that solved multiple problems. Take a look.

Much better, yes?

You can't see the lawn in this photo, but I have to say that it's looking better too. When we moved in, the weed-to-grass ratio was terribly skewed in the wrong direction. Matthew has been diligently working, transplanting grass to the bare spots, fertilizing and watering. Amongst the junk left in the storage shed from the previous owner was some sort of fancy sprinkler that looks like a little tractor and will follow a path around the lawn to ensure an even soaking. Matthew has developed what I think is an unnatural affection for the sprinkler. Nevertheless, he rigs it up almost daily to water the grass. He's quite proud of it--the sprinkler and the lawn. And he should be. Our neighbor (the one whose Confederate jasmine we nearly killed) told us the front yard looks the best she's ever seen it.

4 comments:

Elena said...

Looks good! Do you rent Howard, Nancy, and Matthew out as casual laborors?

Karen said...

It looks really great. Impressive work. What's your next project?

Anonymous said...

Jamie said she had a good time and you and Matt were great,
she was most impressed with the orange flag with a big Gator G on it.

J.A.B. Dad
P.S. The border on the flag should be blue not black

MB said...

I was waiting on a comment about my orange flag! Perhaps for my birthday I'll get a new RED version.

We enjoyed Jamie's visit!