Yesterday, there was the slightest hint of fall in the air so we decided to have a picnic lunch at Lake Bistineau State Park. We'd been once before and it's really pretty with all of the cypress trees growing in and alongside the lake. Though I had heard Bistineau had a salvinia problem, I had no idea how bad it was. Salvinia (in case, like me, you didn't know) is a nonnative invasive water fern that grows very rapidly and pretty much wreaks havoc on the aquatic life that's supposed to be there. It messes up boaters and skiers and pretty much anyone who wants to enjoy lake life. Here are some photos to give you an idea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Thanks for the pictures--I have never heard of this stuff. Wow! How do you get rid of it and get the water clear again?
I'm like you... I love the trees.
There's some kind of weevil that supposed to eat the salvinia, but I don't know if it's been introduced here yet. They are also planning to drawn down the lake by, I think, 8 feet or so to see if that will help. It's terrible.
Post a Comment