Tuesday, August 25, 2009

'Preciate Cha

Part of the duty of The HeatOn Louisiana is to shed a little light on the cultural nuances that separate life in Northwest Louisiana from that in God's country of Northeast Georgia, where Matthew and I are blessed to be from. For example, Matthew realized not long ago that people here always say they are "mowing the lawn" whereas we simply "cut the grass." I don't know why that is. Maybe it has something to do with living within city limits. "Mowing the lawn" sounds a bit more highfalutin.

Another cultural difference I've yet to get to the bottom of is why high school homecoming corsages must be bigger than a bowling ball and have ribbons so long you'll surely trip while walking arm-in-arm with your escort across the 50 yard line. I vow not to let another high school football season pass without figuring this out, and I promise to take pictures so you see I'm not exaggerating. But I digress.

The friendliness of the people in Northwest Louisiana does remind us a lot of home. And we've noticed a little saying that the folks have here that, well, it just makes you feel good when you hear it. Whether at the grocery store, eating out, or even talking with someone about work, I am frequently told as the conversation ends or as I'm finishing up at the checkout counter: "I appreciate you." Okay, with the accents and all, it comes out more like "'Preciate cha."

Maybe they say this back home and I just didn't notice. I know we Southerners do have good manners, and I am often told "thank you" and "y'all come back" and other niceties like that. But for some reason, hearing that I'm appreciated just makes me smile. You know, I bet there are many people out there that have never been told they are appreciated. No one has told them they are grateful to be a part of their life. They've never been told they are valued. Too often I go through life without thinking how a few simple words could have a great impact.

There are so many people for whom I am thankful, unfortunately, I'm not as good at expressing my appreciation as the lady at the Brookshire's cash register is. Just as I hope to master the art of eating a crawfish and making a perfect gumbo, I hope this localism with rub off on me because I really should do a better job of letting my family and friends know just how much I 'preciate 'em. That being said, I appreciate you, dear blog readers!

6 comments:

Beth H said...

awww!! And we Preciate tha blog!!!

Karen said...

I'm way past preciatin' you guys--I love you TONS! Thank you for always knowing just the right thing to say.

Elena said...

I "preciate cha" mind, girl. You always looks at the world in a different way.

Elena said...

Did you notice a mistake in my comment? Just wanted to make sure you "looks at" what I write!

Sarah Rentz said...

Very neat post! I preciate the blog too! And dating someone from New Orleans is teaching me a few things about that area. Such as, it's never to early to have a cocktail. No, seriously.

Sarah Rentz said...

That would be "too" early...