I'm not a super-huge fan of the Olympics (despite my high-profile role in the 1996 Olympic opening ceremony as an alien-looking member of the Green Ring tribe, but I digress). I do, however, feel it's my patriotic duty to watch a little of the games, plus it helps pass the time until football season.
While I did not watch the entire opening ceremony Friday night, I did see the entrance of the Malawi athletes. The commentators were giving interesting facts about each nation and/or their athletes as they entered the track. And what do they talk about for Malawi? The fact that Madonna adopted a baby from there. That's the only thing we can dig up about the place? There are no other interesting tidbits? That just bugged me for some reason. But then I cheered up as my favorite-named country came into view: Djibouti.
One more thing: I'm not into swimming and don't know a thing about it other than Michael Phelps is the man to beat, but during last night's 4-by-100-meter relay I was shouting at the television as if Knowshon was grinding away yards in the red zone. Those trash-talking Frenchies thought they'd shame the U.S. team. Ha! We came from behind at the very end to break the previous world record by 4 seconds and leave the team from France to drown their sorrows in a cup of cafe au lait. Exciting stuff, I admit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Djibouti is my favorite too! Omg, how I love to say it. hee hee.
It's even more fun to say if you pretend their capital is Jumpshake. Jumpshake, Djibouti. Okay, I know that's silly, but I always giggle when I think aobut it.
I enjoy the olympics, but will be glad when they are over b/c then I won't be up until 1am every night watching and might actually get some sleep! I too was jumping up & down and screaming at the tv during the mens 4 x 100--and have been trying boycott french fries every since. They only think that would have been better would be if the francs had actually started crying over the loss! I am sure they did cry, but the NBC cameras didn't catch it!
Did you hear them talking about the length of Phelps's arms? I think if you hold your arms out and measure fingertip-to-fingertip, it's the same as your height. I think his arm length is supposed to be 8 inches longer than body height. (Or something like that.) With those limbs, I could reach the top shelf in my cabinets! Elena
Post a Comment