Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Posts were suspended while we closed on the house, went to Lowe's, went to Home Depot, painted, went back to Lowe's, went to Lowe's again, stopped by Home Depot, painted, painted, packed up stuff, moved boxes, went back to Lowe's, painted, and collapsed with exhaustion. Believe it or not, there's still painting to be done, primarily touch ups and trim. There are also some boxes that haven't been unpacked yet, but don't judge or I'll just stick a mailing label on one and ship it to you. (You could be the lucky recipient of an 8-year library of Martha Stewart Weddings magazines or, perhaps, a pizza stone.)

If you're wondering why there was so much painting, here's the palette the previous owner chose: blood red (for living room walls AND ceiling), eggplant, navy (?), bubble gum pink accented with hot pink, and a color that's not quite black but was pretty close. We've painted everything a very neutral palette of Lyndhurst Timber (sort of a khaki brown), Homestead Resort Parlor Taupe, and plain old off-the-shelf white. Call me drab and unimaginative, but we like it.

Below are a few shots of what we've been up to. Much, much more to come.

Above and below: Our first photos in the house after closing.



Matthew in our "eggplant" kitchen.

Matthew and Howard in Home Depot.

Howard fixing one of the many projects I put on his list.

Mom and Nancy painting.

The dining room is farthest along. We bought a new rug, recovered the chairs, and found a cute drum shade, which we plan on hanging as a pendant light. I'm hoping to find some cute Roman shades for the windows.

P.S. Anyone who has visited us since we got married will be happy to know we've ordered a new couch--a 93-inch-long couch. So we'll soon have more seating besides the tiny red loveseat and uncomfortable rocker.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you got a shot of the bubble gum/hot pink room before painting. I want to see it! By the way, has Matthew slimmed up, or does the new house just make him look like he has?

MB said...

I do have a picture of the pink room. Maybe I'll post it sometime. Matthew may be slimming up--I know he sweated off a few pounds working on the house! Unfortunately, I didn't.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember signing a release form so that you could use my picture! Oh, well, maybe no one will recognize me with paint all over me.
The dining room is looking good. Can't wait to see the new sofa.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Who is the person with the primer coat of paint?

Amanda Storey said...

Okay, I've been in and out of town but am SO glad to see these photos. I'm SO proud of y'all. What a great house! Yippeeeee.

Anonymous said...

Your house is beautiful~!

kate said...

I love beige, tan, white, and more beige, so I don't think you're drab at all. What I'm really wondering is why you moved all your Martha Stewart Weddings mags for the seventh time. You already had your wedding!