Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bloom, Bloom, Bloom

One day Matthew came home and asked if I saw what was growing by the tree. Of course I hadn't because that would require my going outside into the heat. I was curious, so I went to take a look. There were two 12-inch-tall stalks and you could tell they were going to bloom. The very next day, literally overnight, they were twice as tall and the blooms began to open. Now we have three tall stalks with pretty pinky-purple flowers. What are they? I know you know.


4 comments:

laurahix said...

Hi Mary Beth! I think they are spider lilies. Ken and I used to have some red ones at our house in Westgate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoris_(genus)

MB said...

Thanks for letting me know! I knew they had to be some kind of lily but had no idea the specifics.

Elena said...

Do they have any leaves?

Karen said...

Don't ask me anything about flowers and plants. Dandelions are the only plant I'm really successful with.